Great Expectation = Great Disappointment

I had a very turbulent time for the last couple of weeks. Spilling the details here would be unnecessary, but if there is one thing that I learn from all these, it would be simplified as this - GREAT EXPECTATIONS= GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT.

It takes no Einstein to come out wit that equation, but I guess almost everybody could relate to that. Imagine that you asked for tomyam, but you get beriyani instead. Sure both are yummy, but as you placed the order in the first place, imaginatively you already expect to have the sour-lemon grass-y taste of the tomyam in your mouth. Of course you'll be disappointed right?

The same goes with human being. Yes, we should accept people the way they are, but as a normal human being, we couldn't help but to have at least a tiny winy expectation on what the person should be, especially those who are close to us. For instance, as students we expect our teachers to have the answers to all the questions in the world, because we regard them with people with the knowledge - Mr./Mrs/-Know-It-All. As a voter, we expect that the person that we had voted for (and actually wins!) to strive for the betterment of our community, constituency and NOT wasting the time and resources by arguing and bickering over petty issues.

So when THIS particular person failed me a couple of weeks ago, I got very upset = disappointed. That was because after knowing him for quite sometime, I expect him to be a reliable person. But what had happened made me realized that he was not the person that I know (or I thought I know). This fact saddened and confused me, because I regard him as a friend, not just an acquaintance or colleague.

Ironically, it was during this time that I embarked into a relationship. I guess this lesson on people and expectation could not come out in a better time =) Of course I hope and pray for the best, but yet I have to be mindful not to put too high expectation on another human kind. I had been crushed very badly before, I should have known better..

Comments

marmalade said…
ceteris paribus. other things remained the same (but not humans!) they change all the freaking time, and they don't even know it sometimes.

you will be surprised alright.