More Than Words

I have a few confessions to make. First, I would always look forward for my Sunday newspaper. I got cheap thrills by browsing from page to page of my favorite Star Mag; drowning myself into the well written articles about people, culture and places.

Whilst I don't usually agree with most of the columnists namely Dzof Azmi and Dzireena, I really look forward for the weekly features which usually about interesting story of the ordinary people.

But last Sunday my favorite pick had to be this article “Praise, Don’t Disgrace” by Nithya Sidhhu. At first I was just reading it for the sake of reading as she had never been my favorite writer. She is an educationist, so her piece would always evolve around school-teacher-student-school administration and stuff like that.

However, this time as I got down to the very last word in her piece, I found that I could relate to the thing that she wrote. It was about name calling. She brilliantly describes the situation as this, "Name calling is humiliating and brings with it a needless erosion of self esteem."

I bet you’ll appreciate it if you’re in the same situation as me (and a friend of mine). Yes, we are no longer students, but still got it - the name calling. Let's not talk about the exact word that been thrown to us, but it's definitely more than words..
It’s strong enough to knock down our spirit, motivation and made us feel and think that all the efforts and sacrifices that we had put earlier on were worthless and useless. So I pledge here not to do the same to to others and I hope my dear readers would not too especially if you are a parent/teacher/superior. Even if the harsh word is something common / meaningless for you, please remember that it's more than that. Your words could bring others down..once again I quoted Sidhhu's "If you don't have anything nice to say to a person, don't say anything at all.."

Comments