Life's Little Joy

I was at this workshop @ the Royale Chulan Hotel where we discussed about the poor, marginalized group and the hardships that they face. It is always disturbing to know that despite of all efforts that being made, there are still rakyat that live in extreme poverty. Yeah, yeah I know it was rather ironic that such discussion was being held at such a posh place.

Anyways, it was what I saw during lunch that really touched my heart that day. I was getting my dessert when I spotted this rather young guy with spiky hair and black T-shirt. Physically, he was just another guy. But what really caught my attention was that I saw him saying do'a makan with his hands held firmly on the air. And I was pretty sure that it was not just a short do'a makan that perhaps took us about 20 seconds to finish. On my third glance at him, he was still saying his prayer dengan sangat khusyu', oblivious of his surrounding.

I really respect his action. He was not ashamed to really practice his belief in public whilst some people are quite hesitant to express themselves in that way. Most people would just say "Bismillah" when they are in public place. Mengangkat tangan dan berdoa is something that you do when you are at home or in a function di mana ada upacara membaca doa makan beramai-ramai.

But not this guy. Even if he did not wear jubah or serban, he proved that iman letaknya di hati dan terserlah di perbuatan. Suddenly a scene from "My Name is Khan" flashed into my mind where a couple told Rizvan Khan (played by Shah Rukh Khan)
when he told them that he wanted to pray at a diner in the U.S. "You should pray depending on the place and the people around," And here's Rizvan's, a person living with Asperger's Syndrome brilliant reply, "No, no. No. Prayer should never depend upon the place or the people. It should depend only on your belief".

Comments