Not the RIGHT person - Part II

This is the continuation from my previous entry on being left-handed. In this entry, I wish to share some everyday little things that you might not aware about living as a left-handed person:
1. Pencil / pen smudges

As we write from left to right using our left hand, our hands would smudge the lead/ink as it passed over the writing. This is most apparent after sitting for an essay-writing exam. I had to scrub my hand really hard after the exam as it would be covered with blue/black ink. Using a fountain pen is a nighthmare as the ink is 'wet' so we tend to smear  not only our hands, but the paper as well.
Before

After - the pencil smudge
2. Choosing a notebook
Lefties will avoid buying notebooks with the rings/binders on the left. It is because we will not be able to write comfortably as our hands will push the ring. We also despise any notebook with thick binding for the same reason. It hurts our hands! 
The binders is a nuisance!
3. Computer mouse

When ever I use the laptop, people will ask whether I need to use the mouse to navigate. I will say no, because I will need to use my right hand to use it and it is not comfortable. It would be nice if the computer mouse can be re-position for a lefty but it is not always possible when you use public computers. I leave my mouse for both my office and house computers on the right-hand-side because it has very minimal usage - usually only for clicking or bolding. Back to the days when I was in Uni, I took the Engineering Drawing class where we used the mouse to do the CAD drawing! We didn't have computers with touch-screen during that time. So spent hours in front of the computer to do the CAD drawing with the mouse as my only drawing tool. And God it was awkward!

4. Cutlery / dining etiquette

Another social faux-pas that I face is when it comes to dining etiquette. When it is required to use knife and fork, for instance when eating steak - I will have to use my left hand to hold the knife as it will do the cutting. When it involves fork and spoon, for eating rice - the spoon will go to my left-hand. Not a 'proper' sight for most people, but believe me, I have tried zillions of times to use my right-hand to hold the spoon, but it turned out to be a very clumsy attempt.

Actually there are so much more daily 'discriminations' that we, lefties face in our everyday life. That includes - tickets machines/slot at LRT/subway stations, (ticket has to be put in with right hands), special equipment for sports like golf and archery, it is quite difficult for us to learn to play guitar from a right-handed instructor and the list goes on. It is also said that lefties are prone to accidents while using the everyday tools!

Comments

melissa said…
Agree with you for the ink smudges.

I use my mouse with my left hand. Yes, and when I need help, my friends will automatically put their hand on my phone which will be on the right and try to navigate it. Hahaha.

For can opener, I can never turn it forward. It always goes backwards.

Fork, spoon and knife - I use it like any right-hand person. Same with the guitar. I played like how a right-hand person would.

I would still say I'm a proud lefty!
Nadym said…
Yes Mel, I'm proud to be a lefty too! Lefty rules =)
marmalade said…
never really thought of your hardships as a lefty! though i know a few :)

but i think lefty surely dapat pahala lebih sebab berusaha lebih keras hehe.