Monday Madness: The Day I Needed Vivy Yusof in My Closet

Today is one of those days where everything went wrong. I wore the wrong color, wrong tudung and of course, the office attire that I had chosen earlier this morning didn’t make me feel better too. So my mood is ruined. 

It was lucky that my contact with human beings today was minimal. Otherwise, they might appear in the news tonight with this headline: Colleague was tortured to do an essay on "Why it is important to check and re-check the numbering and format" due to wardrobe malfunction of his supervisor. Heheheh drama sangat.

But don’t get me wrong. I’m not THAT superficial. Sudah tentu, baju, tudung, mekap semua tu hanyalah luaran. Yang penting adalah apa di dalam bla bla bla. It’s just that I’m the type of person whose mood can be easily affected by the clothes and colour that I'm wearing that day. 

I have discovered this habit of mine when I was an undergraduate. In the morning of the exam, despite the 1,001 things that I need to re-read, I would still take my time to do my make up in and put on something nice for the exam. The same ‘rituals’ were applied when I need to attend job interviews. Now, as I’m already working, I would do the same on those days when I need to make presentations or to attend important meetings etc. It’s like a therapy for me. Looking and feeling well, ‘extra’ nice during those stressful moments sort of giving me a break from the what-ever pressure that I am facing.

However, the definition of ‘nice’ in this context is subjective and I’m not a fashionable person. I just wear what I think suits me. In my book, wearing the right clothes doesn’t mean that you should look like you just stepped out of a fashion magazine. But it’s the kind of clothing – that makes you feel good about yourself. It should not make you feel self-conscious and should not dampen your mood.

And you know what; researches have shown that women (even though it is not right to generalize) attach emotion to clothes. The following paragraphs were taken from www.bodyandsoul.com

"A group of researchers from the University of Queensland have found out that women tend to use ‘clothes to improve or mask emotion’. If they get up and aren't feeling great, they would put on something that would brighten them up.  <- i="" me="" s="" that="" usually.=""> On other occasions they use clothes to mask their emotions. It didn't brighten their mood, but it would give them the appearance of being bright and airy, even if that is not how they actually feel. The researchers also found that despite relying on clothes to boost our sense of wellbeing, we also blame certain garments when something goes wrong". 

This is exactly what happened to me today. My mood was ruined like, totally and I blame it on the clothes that I picked this morning. Came to think about it, I actually faced this ‘wardrobe malfunction’ quite a lot lately. So I guess it’s time for me to get a wardrobe revamp!

Comments