365!

It's been a year since I came to this new workplace. It has been great so far and most importantly, I survived my first year here, so...hooray to me!

On this day, exactly a year ago, I went to report for duty at my new division and it happened to be on the day that the Ministry was having the Hari Raya Open House. It was a massive celebration and instead of sitting on my desk, I went to meet a few familiar faces and it really helped to calm down my nervousness of being a newbie there.

But we got right into business the following day - I attended a briefing in the morning and was being sent to an official trip straight away. It was a trip up north to get to....(wait for it) an open sea! Yes, I got to be on a patrol boat right on my third day. To make it more interesting, my immediate boss who was supposed to be with us had to pull out from the trip due to an unforeseen circumstances. So, it was just me and my subordinate navigating the session with the respective agencies 😅 


    Shoots from my 1st outstation trip

From there on, the learning curve has been really steep. Countless meetings, interventions, proceedings, work trips etc. I have no choice but to learn and adapt quickly to any situation possible. I do a lot of reading (when the time permits), asking around (my colleagues must be annoyed with my many questions hahaha) but most of the time, I learn by observing my immediate boss - how he reacts and responds to the given issues and situations. Alhamdulillah, he is very experience, smart and cool too. It has been a great year, but of course not without the challenges, dramas and segala kekalutan too! Biasalah, dah nama pun kerja kan.

Apart from work, I am very much involved with kegiatan sosial di sini juga sebab rajin sangat nak bagi idea tu ini kan. When I first came here, it was quite overwhelming because the number of people in this division is 4x bigger than my former office. So, whenever I got the extra time, I brought the A3 sized organization chart and went around the division to introduce myself and got to know them. Siap tanda lagi nama-nama yang dah jumpa sebab takut lupa 😂 

Even within the short period of a year, I also witnessed the emerging of incumbent leaders and the downfall of some others. It was a humbling experience to watch the dramatic changes that have taken place and it also a great reminder for me to stay grounded at all time because nothing lasts forever in this world but the certainty of change.   

#050f2023
#WorkTreasure

Comments